Administrative Support Specialist, Merrimack Valley
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: November 17, 2019
The Administrative Specialist reports directly to the Operations
Director and provides skilled administrative support to the
leadership team (Operations Director, Director of Nursing &
Clinical Operations, Medical Director, Practice Manager, and Nurse
Manager) and staff and Providers. The Administrative Specialist
will provide administrative support, including coverage for
check-in/check-out, end-of- day tasks, and other front desk
functions. The Administrative Specialist will coordinate directly
with the Dana-staff at the Longwood campus, as appropriate. Under
the direction of the leadership team, he/she assists with advanced
administrative tasks such as managing schedules, running reports,
creating spreadsheets, presentations, maintaining financial and
contract information in organized and accessible filing systems,
supporting marketing and community outreach activities and events,
coordination of volunteer activities and providing general
administrative assistance to ensure smooth daily operations.
Requires knowledge of Institute policies and practices and
interfaces with senior management, cross-organizations, internal
and external customers and government and community officials which
require considerable tact and diplomacy. Is expected to exhibit
professional behavior through adherence to DFCI and site-specific
policies, procedures, and codes of conduct.Dana-Farber Cancer
Institute is opening a new location at 5 Branch Street in Methuen,
MA, to offer cancer and blood disorder care and outpatient services
to adult patients in Merrimack Valley. This new facility,
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Merrimack Valley, unites Dana-Farbers
current physician practice sites in Lawrence and Methuen into one
hospital outpatient location. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings
together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and
dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering
cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented
people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive
environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to
patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment;
we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to
underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing
partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated
hospitals.Administrative Support to Leadership Team and Practice
- Prepare documents, general correspondence, creates Excel
spreadsheets, Power-Point presentations, reports, and
correspondence that may be highly confidential or politically
sensitive in nature.
- Responsible for general office duties such as copying, filing,
faxing, sorting mail, greeting visitors and maintaining the
cleanliness of clinic area.
- Plan and coordinates meetings; arranging for audiovisual
equipment and food services, takes meeting minutes and distributes
- Coordinate conferences or other group meetings, and arrange
travel plans as needed.
- Coordinate conference room/consult room booking.
- Assist with personnel-related administrative procedures for
- Order and receive office supplies, ensure maintenance of par
levels of supplies, maintain adequate supply of necessary paper
forms, ensures equipment is maintained.
- Assists with program and event planning as needed.
- Organizes and maintains financial and contract
- Receive shipments for practice and places supplies and stock
items in the proper storage area(s).
- Assists with recruitment processes, coordination of interviews
and the on-boarding of new staff members. When applicable, assists
in obtaining keys, badge access, lockers, lab coats and other
- Assists with academic and hospital appointment processes, and
the maintenance of licenses, credentialing and
certificationsSupport for Daily Operations
- Answer telephones and directs calls to appropriate
- Screen calls and triages appropriately.
- Provides coverage for administrative support staff, including
scheduling and check-in/check-out functions, greeting and arriving
patients, booking/rescheduling appointments, scheduling ancillary
appointments and referrals (lab, imaging, radiation oncology,
surgical, etc), end of day reports, reconciliations, no
show/cancellation lists, work-queues, etc.
- Support other unit operation requests from leadership team,
Practice Manager, Nurse Manager, Providers and staff.
- Maintains and updates Physicians, Nursing and Specialty/Support
Provider schedules, blocking accordingly for meetings and
vacations.Marketing, Community Outreach, Volunteer and Resource
- In conjunction with the Director of Nursing, Nurse Manager and
Practice Manager, coordinates volunteer coverage for the unit.
- Assist with training new volunteers.
- Assist with the coordination of Community Outreach activities
- Ensure brochures, literature and marketing materials are
updated and there is an adequate supply.
- Orders materials for Resource Area.Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree or College coursework preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience working in an
administrative support role in a medical office or healthcare
- Demonstrated ability to draft correspondence and have exemplary
oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Epic or other hospital/professional
services electronic medical records/billing systems.
- Advanced computer skills are required and strong understanding
of Microsoft Office product suite.
- A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required and
relies on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish job
responsibilities.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills; effective communicator and
communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to
interact professionally with peers, leadership and external
- Knowledgeable of computer applications including Microsoft
Office, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Self starter with strong team player/builder and leadership
- Strong problem solving skills, balance multiple tasks and
- Ability to be organized in a fast-paced environment, prioritize
and meet pre-determined deadlines.
- Must posses the ability to maintain confidentiality and
attentiveness to detail.
- Excellent ability to organize, prioritize and
- Advanced technical skills, as appropriate.Dana-Farber Cancer
Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of
every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or
expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic
information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected
veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.Job ID:
2020-17487 Grade: 18 External Company URL: www.dana-farber.org
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Haverhill , Administrative Support Specialist, Merrimack Valley, Administration, Clerical , Haverhill, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!